“Fort San Pedro is not only the oldest Fort in the Philippines but it is also the Altar of Sacrifice of Cebuano Patriots who gallantly fought for freedom under the Spanish, American and Japanese regime.”
This was explained by Louie Nacorda, one of the Commissioners of the Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission (CHAC) during the commemoration of its 454th Year Anniversary held recently attended by Cebu City Government employees headed by Fort San Pedro Head Dr. Librado Macaraya and invited guests.
This was founded on May 8, 1565 by Adelantado Miguel Lopez de Legaspi which was established by the Spaniards as a military fort and became the first foreign fort.
During the American regime, it was used as a military barracks where thousands of Filipinos fought and died for the bravery and love of freedom for our country.
And for the third time, during the Japanese occupation, from 1942-1945, it became a prison and an execution place where Cebuano Filipino blood was shed all in the name of freedom.
With its triangular structure, each corner is dedicated to a particular Patron Saint.
The corner fronting the entrance is dedicated to St. Michael Archangel, the protector and leader of the Christians, another corner is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the mother of our Saviour and the last corner at the back is dedicated to St. Ignatius de Loyola, the Jesuit Priest, who is the Patron of the Soldiers.
The celebration started with a solemn mass officiated by CHAC Commissioner Fr. Eric Oreo followed by a short program led by Commissioner Arsenio Pacaña. (Farlash Acenas, Margie Bulado & Tito Basilisco/PIO)