The most livable city for all.
- To ensure an environmentally friendly, financially dynamic, pro-active, and self-reliant City Government
- To have well-informed and participative barangays and communities
OFFICIAL SEAL AND SYMBOLISM
The official seal of Cebu City is a replica of a rich cultural heritage.
The seal features the most famous historical landmark of the city, the Magellan’s Cross. The cross is housed in a kiosk made of thick wood and brick tiles. This symbolizes the strong foundation of the people’s Catholic faith. Magellan’s Cross is also a symbolism for Cebu being the oldest city in the country. The black and white tiles represent the 80 barangays comprising the City of Cebu.
(Text from the Employee's Handbook published by the Office of the Mayor through the Mayor's Management Team and the Human Resource Development Office © 2009.)
LAW CREATING THE CITY OF CEBU
President Manuel L. Quezon signed the law creating the City of Cebu. On October 20, 1934, Commonwealth Act. No. 58 creating the City of Cebu was approved. Authored by the late Senator Vicente Rama (who also served as Cebu's second City Mayor), Commonwealth Act No. 58 provided for the granting of the Charter of the City of Cebu.
On February 24, 1937, the City of Cebu was inaugurated. The Secretary of Interior, Hon. Elpidio Quirino, represented President Manuel L. Quezon in the inaugural ceremonies. Quirino administered the oath of office to the newly appointed City Mayor and Members of the Municipal Board. Former Provincial Treasurer of Cebu, Hon. Alfredo V. Jacinto was sworn into office as the first Mayor of Cebu. Along with Mayor Jacinto, the following city councilors were sworn into office by Secretary Quirino: Councilors Manuel Roa (the first President of the Municipal Board), Regino Mercado, Felipe Pacaña, Jose Fortich, Diego Canizares, Jose P. Nolasco, Leandro A. Tojong and Dominador J. Abella.
Republic Act No. 244, which was approved on June 12, 1948, provided for the position of Vice Mayor of the City of Cebu. The Vice Mayor was appointed by the President of the Philippines and must be confirm then by the Commission on Appointments. First to be appointed Vice Mayor,by virtue of the provisions of R.A. No. 244, was Hon. Arsenio Villanueva who took his oath of office on July 16, 1948.
Second appointed Vice Mayor - Hon. Carlos J. Cuizon, on April 9, 1953.Third appointed Vice Mayor - Hon. Florentino D. Tecson on January 28, 1954. One of the most significant amendment to the charter of the City of Cebu (C.A. No. 58) came with the approval of Republic Act No. 1243 on June 7, 1955. This particular amendment provided for the election at large, by the qualified voters of the city in conformity with the provision of the Revised Election Code; of the City Mayor and Vice Mayor.
The first election of the City Mayor and Vice Mayor was held during the general election of the provincial and municipal officials on November 8, 1955. Chosen as Cebu City's first elected City Mayor was the Hon. Sergio Osmeña Jr. with Hon. Ramon Duterte as the first duly-elected Vice Mayor.
Another very significant amendment to the City Charter, the most significant one in fact, is provided for in Republic Act. No. 3857, otherwise known as the "Revised Charter of the City of Cebu" approved on June 10, 1964.
Text from the Employee's Handbook published by the Office of the Mayor through the Mayor's Management Team and the Human Resource Development Office © 2009.
- Next >>