The Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission (CHAC) was created through Ordinance No. 1098 by then Mayor Florentino Solon on March 30, 1981. The Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission together with the Cebu City Museum are housed on the 2nd floor of the Rizal Memorial Library and Museum Building, a landmark itself being 61 years old. The building was built in 1936 through the efforts of Los Tocayos de Rizal. The Cebu City Public Library is housed on the ground floor.
The Commission is composed of a Chairman, Vice- Chairman and 5 members who shall be appointed by the City Mayor. The Chairman shall be appointed from the among the members of the Sangguniang Panlungsod, their terms are coextensive with the tenure of the appointing power or unless sooner terminated at the pleasure of the appointing power. But the staffs of the Commission are permanent employees and are civil service eligible.
CHAC is a catalyst for Cebuano cultural heritage providing the best opportunity in art, culture and history within the community, instilling pride and sense of identity and unity among cebuanos as well as among the Filipinos.
CHAC shall develop, implement and promote programs and projects that will inculcate the appreciation of cebuano heritage.
The main objectives of the commission are: To pursue the cultural development and historical promotion programs and projects of the national government, to initiate its own program of promoting, encouraging and developing culture, history, tradition and as an instrument of accelerating the development of the City of Cebu to act as the implementing arm of the City Government in the achievement of policies for the development and promotion of culture, history and the arts.
Functions of the Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission are:
- To act as the implementing arm of the City government in the achievement of policies and programs for the development and promotion of culture, history and the arts in the City of Cebu;
- To serve as liaison of the city government agencies involved in cultura development and historical promotion;
- To undertake fund-raising rojects and to accept donations from any and all sources for the cultural and historical development of the city; and
- To do any and all acts necessary, convenient or expedient to carry out the purposes for which the Commission is created which are not violative of any law.
- Facilitate the activities during the sinulog sa barangay.
- Facilitate the awarding of outstanding individual and institution during Charter Day celebration.
- Facilitate the program of tres de abril uprising on April 3.
- Facilitate the activities / program on Araw ng Kagitingan on April 9.
- Prepare and facilitate the program on National Flag Day.
- Prepare the program / activities for the launching of Tartanilla Festival.
- Facilitate the program / activities on Independence Day.
- Facilitate the program on Jose Rizal’s birth anniversary on June 19.
- Facilitate the celebration of National Heroes Week on the last week of August.
- Facilitate the program / activities on Ninoy Aquino‘s martyrdom.
- Facilitate the program / activities for the Osmeña Day on September 9.
- Facilitate the activities of lantern festival on December 1.
- Facilitate the activities of the launching of Pasko sa Sugbo.
- Facilitate the activities of the birth anniversary of late Sen. Serging Osmeña, Jr.
- Facilitate the activities of the awarding of Pasko sa Sugbo.
- Accomodates museum tour.
- Assists / coordinates in the establishment of museums and cultural sites.
- Provides secutity measures at the museum and CHAC office.
- Coordinates historical program.
- Prepare calendar activities / program for cebu city cultural and historical events.
- Prepares letter requests and resolutions.
- Attends to request of students to research about the history of cebu.
- Deliver letters and invitations.
Duties and Reponsibilities
- To formulate and adopt a general program in promoting cultural activities and evaluate as well as recommend related goals and policies;
- To plan, acquire, research, organized, develop, hold and manage facilities for the holding of cultural activities by the City of Cebu and to the extent possible, use the resources of other government agencies in connection therewith;
- To foster coordination among city, provincial and national agencies as well as other organizations or institutions with respect to cultural and historical activities in the city;
- To inculcate in the minds of the youth appreciation and pride in adhering to the country’s cultural and traditional heritage as well as to its ancestral moral values;
- To perform such other related functions and duties which may; from time to time, be deemed necessary in carrying out the above objectives; & Cebu City Museum of Art and History.
- To disseminate information and technical knowledge of the arts, culture and history through exhibitions, lectures/symposia and publications for the public and student.
- To undertake research and study on Cebuano Heritage matters.
- To conduct outreach programs in other municipalities and localities.
- To conduct guided museum tours within the city and in the province of Cebu on special cases.
- To establish linkages with NGOs, municipalities and other localities on matters regarding the arts, culture and history.
Accomplishment Report (2009)
Initiated the conduct of the Sinulog sa Barangay- A barangay based décor contest which motif is the image of Sto. Niño in the Sinulog Celebration. Among the coordinating agency in the orderly conduct of annual Sinulog Celebration.
- February 24
Facilitated the selection of Most Outstanding Institution and Individual and Special Awardees to be given due recognition during the Cebu City Charter Day Celebration. These entitles were accorded with plaques of appreciation and citations. The awarding ceremony was held at the Cebu City Sports Center and attended by more or less 500 guests. Assisted the Holy Mass and floral offering was celebrated in the commemoration of the Father of Charter Don Vicente Rama at site of his monument.
- April 3 - Tres de Abril Uprising
The celebration started with a Holy Mass in the morning then followed by a dance – drama performed by the students of Gothong Memorial High School. This is in recognition of our Katipuneros who fought against the Spaniards. This was attended by about 1,000 crowd led by the living Katipuneros, Civic Organizations, Local and National Government Offices, some Barangay Captains and Councilors, Boy and Girl Scouts, relatives of Katipuneros and their family.
- April 9 - Araw ng Kagitingan
To commemorate our war veterans who fought and died in Corregodir for our Independence. There was a Holy Mass held at the church of Barangay Guadalupe. They were serve with a free breakfast.
- May 28 - National Flag Day
Display of Katipunan Flags in Rizal Memorial Library and Museum Building which the CHAC is located and display of Philippine Flags along Osmeña Boulevard. There was a Flag Raising Ceremony and short program at the front of Malacañang sa Sugbo.These was attended by City Hall Employees and Military Officials.
- June 12 - Independence Day
A Holy mass was held in the morning A Pass and Review was performed by the Citom Personnel after the Flag Raising Ceremony. Facilitated the Civic Military Parade in the afternoon. The parade ends at the Cebu City Sports Center.
- June 19 - Birth Anniversary of Dr. Jose Rizal
A Holy mass was celebrated in the morning and prepared a short program and floral offering in commemoration of the said event at the Rizal Memorial Library and Museum Building. This was attended by about 500 guests who came from different local and national offices, civic organizations and students.
- August 24-30 - National Heroes Week
Streamers and (Tarpaulin) of local and national heroes were displayed at the center island of Osmeña Blvd., and Escario streets. Photo exhibits was held at the Elizabeth mall and Activity Center in coordination of the Cebu Stamp Club. Stamps of national heroes were displayed during the exhibit.
- September 9 - Birth Anniversary of Don Sergio Osmeña Sr.
A Holy mass was held at the site of his monument followed by a short program and a floral offering led by Mayor Tomas R. Osmeña and Family which was attended by the Vice Mayor, Councilors, Local and National Offices, Civic Organizations, Students and some Barangay Captains.
- November 30 - Andres Bonifacio Day
Exhibit at the Cebu City Public Library Lobby regarding the legacies of Andres Bonifacio. Streamers of Andres Bonifacio was displayed which was sent by the National Historical Institute of Manila.
- December 1-30 - Pasko sa Sugbo
Initiated the Launching and Awarding of winners for the month long celebration of the said event. This is a festival composed of Belen displays on
- December 4 - Birth Anniversary of Sergio Osmeña Jr.
A Holy mass and floral offering was held at the site of his monument at the SM City car park to commemorate the Birth Anniversary of the late Senator Sergio Osmeña Jr. led by Mayor Tomas R. Osmeña and Family which was attended by the Vice Mayor, Councilors, Local and National Offices, Civic Organizations, Students and some Barangay Captains.
- December 30 - Martyrdom of Dr. Jose P. Rizal
A Holy mass floral offering was held at site of his monument at the Plaza Sugbu Cebu City which was attended by the City Mayor, Vice Mayor, Councilors, Local and National Offices, Civic Organizations, Students and some Barangay Captains.
Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission
Osmeña Blvd., Cebu City
Tel. Nos. +63 32 255 4997 / 254 1109
Community Affairs Assistant II
Eduardo Aboitiz St. Unveiling on 19 July 2017
Thirty years ago, a Cebu City Council Resolution No 1290 was passed and approved by the Sangguniang Panglungsod as Cebu City Ordinance No. 1269 on November 16, 1987 renaming Lopez Jaena St. to Eduardo Aboitiz St.
Eddie Aboitiz grew up in a home where sharing and concern for less fortunate was part and parcel of daily life. He embibed the compassion of his parents—Ramon and Dolores Aboitiz, whose passion was helping the poor and the socially disadvantaged. He took up ideas of uplifting the human condition and was instrumental in the institutionalization of these advocacies through the foundation named after his father Ramon Aboitiz. Other than his commitment to shaping his father’s legacy through RAFI, he was also at the helm of leading Aboitiz and Company.
On the 19th of July, Eddie’s contribution to Cebu’s social development will be remembered and honored with a street named after him. This street in right in front of two iconic buildings of the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc. in the Tinago-Parian area of Cebu City, the Eduardo Aboitiz Development Studies Center and the Casa Gorordo Museum.